Eligibility Requirements

Q1My country has different educational system from the one in Japan, and I am not sure if my academic background covers 12 years of primary and secondary education or not. Am I eligible to apply for the course?
A1Applicants from countries where the total duration of primary and secondary education is less than 12 years (e.g. 11 years or shorter) must submit the designated documents to the Admissions Office for Preliminary Verification. See the Note related to Section III Eligibility Requirements for Applicants on page 2 to 3 of Guidelines for Applicants. If you have any questions regarding your academic background, contact the Admissions Office well in advance.

Q2My mother is Japanese and I have dual citizenship (Japan/USA). Can I apply for the course?
A2As long as you have Japanese citizenship, you are not eligible as an applicant for this procedure.

Q3I have lived in Japan for two years when I was a child and went to a local Japanese elementary school. Am I eligible to apply for the course?
A3If you have studied in a Japanese educational institute (even for a short period of time) during your 12 years of primary to secondary education, you must proceed to Preliminary Verification prior to the Application. Contact Admissions Office for any further questions.

Q4Due to my father’s job, I moved abroad when I was a junior high school student and received my secondary education within two different academic systems. So, one semester is missing and the total number of years of my primary to secondary education is less than 12 years. Am I eligible?
A4 In that case, please undergo Preliminary Verification.

Q5I am a Canadian national who will graduate from an International School located in Japan. Am I eligible?
A5 If you will complete your entire 12 years of primary and secondary education under a foreign country's educational system, you are eligible. However, if you have studied in an educational institution under the Japanese educational system even for a short period of time, you are required to undergo Preliminary Verification. 

Application Documents

Q1Is my chance of admission enhanced by submitting extra material such as recommendation letters?
A1Not at all. Recommendation letters are not required for application.

Q2It is required to submit transcripts of academic record. Are they evaluated during the selection process? If so, how?
A2 We will use your transcripts of academic record to identify if your 12-year education (or equivalent to 12-year) meets our eligibility requirements for applicants.

Q3I cannot use the Form-A because my high school only issues the certificate of graduation with their format. What should I do?
A3You may submit your school's original format unless it includes the same information as our Form-A. 

Q4I have no scholarship at the moment. What should I write on Form C?
A4 If you have no scholarship by now, you can leave it blank.

EJU/National Standard Tests

Q1 EJU is not available in my country. What should I do?
A1GCE A-Level, Gaokao, IB, ACT, CBSE (XII),AP these can be alternative for EJU. However, there are some conditions for each test. Please read through  the FAQ below. If you cannot take any of these tests, the score of your country's National Standard Tests for university admission may be acceptable.  In this case, make sure to contact the Administrative Office far in advance to confirm whether your score is acceptable or not.
During the second screening (interview) stage some mathematics and physics questions will be asked that have a similar difficulty level as questions in the EJU test.

Q2I have a score which I took several years ago. Can I submit this score? 
A2No. The score of the standardized test is valid only if the examination date is after August 1st, 2021.

Q3What are the minimum scores for the EJU and other tests?
A3We do not have a minimum score requirement for each subject. The conversion rate is also confidential.

Q4Is it allowed to mix the scores of the required subjects from more than two different standardized tests?
A4No, it is not allowed. For example, submitting scores of Math and Physics from Gaokao and Chemistry from the EJU is not acceptable.

Q5Can I take the EJU in English?

A5Yes. The test may be taken either in English or Japanese. The required scores are Math (Course 2) , Physics, and Chemistry.  

Q6 What is the definition of “mathematics for science courses” ?A6It means the mathematics exam for those who want to enter engineering faculties in your country. In general, it must include problems of differential calculus, integral calculus, matrices, and so on. Please also see the syllabus of Mathematics (Course 2) in the EJU exam.    https://www.jasso.go.jp/en/ryugaku/eju/examinee/syllabus/index.html

Q7Is GCE AS-Level or GCSE Level  and International A-Level acceptable?
A7GCE AS level and GCSE are not acceptable. Those who wish to submit the International A-level must contact the Admission Office well in advance to the application.


I am going to take the American College Test (ACT).Which subject should I submit?
A8The scores of Mathematics and Science are needed. The other subjects are not required.

Q9Is International Baccalaureate Standard-Level (SL) acceptable?
A9No. Please prepare for High-Level (HL) to apply for this program. But only Chemistry Standard-Level (SL) can be acceptable.


 I am Chinese and plan to take Gaokao of my province/city, in which I cannot take both physics and Chemistry. What should I do?
A10If the General Science including Physics and Chemistry is available, please take it. In case there is no chance to take the General Science too, take another test such as ACT. If you submit the Gaokao score without the score of the required subject, the score of the missed subject will be regarded as zero.

Q11 I have SAT score. Can I apply for your International Course Program?
A11 We do not accept the score of the SAT and AP test.  
AP scores are acceptable.  The required subjects are 

Mathematics: Calculus AB, Calculus BC
Physics: Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C: Mechanics
Chemistry: Chemistry
UPDATED_26th May 2023


Q1I took the TOEIC test for English proficiency. Is the TOEIC score acceptable?
A1 No. For the applicants’ English proficiency, it is required to submit either a TOEFL or IELTS score.

Q2I am a native speaker of English. Do I have to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score?
A2 Yes. All of the applicants are requested to submit either a TOEFL or IELTS score. (This score will be assessed at the first screening.)

Q3My TOEFL (or IELTS) score is not over 80 (or 6.0 for IELTS). Can I take TOEFL (or IELTS) more than once until I get the sufficient score to apply for your course?
A3 Yes, you can.

Q4If I take the required tests more than once, which results does Kyoto University consider?
A4 In regards to TOEFL or IELTS, you may take them more than once. We will consider the best one amongst all of those submitted as the official scores.

Q5When is the last available date of TOEFL or IELTS before application deadline this year?
A5In some counties, the number of applicants for TOEFL or IELTS are rapidly increasing, and sometimes people are asked to wait until the next examination date. We strongly recommend you take those English proficiency tests by mid-August, 2022.

Q6Is TOEFL test from ITP (Institutional Testing Program) acceptable?
A6 No. TOEFL ITP is not acceptable.

Q7Is TOEFL-iBT Special Home Edition and IELTS Indicator acceptable?
A7 TOEFL-iBT Special Home Edition is acceptable, but IELTS Indicator is NOT acceptable. Please review Page 7 to 8 of the Guidelines for Applicants in 2024.


Q1Do you have admission applications for fall enrollment?
A1 Unfortunately, we accept students for spring enrollment in April only.

Q2 How many students does the International Course accept every year?
A2 The maximum number of international students in the course is 30 persons in total. In addition to that, we accept 10 Japanese students who are successful at the general entrance examination in Japan and pass the interview conducted by the faculty members in March.


Q1Can I learn the Japanese language after admission?
A1 International Students must take Japanese language classes after enrollment.

Transfer/ others

Q1I am a second-year university student studying civil engineering in South Korea at the moment. Can I join the third-year in your course next April?
A1 We do not have a transfer system. Therefore, you need to enroll as a freshman. In addition, we cannot accept credits earned at other institutions of higher education.

Q2Can I change the faculty after enrollment in the International Course Program?
A2 No. International Course Students can not transfer to any other faculty.

Campus Life

Q1Do I get any supports by English-speaking staff?

A1 Comprehensive support from English-speaking staff will be provided to the international students for assistance in their living and studying in Kyoto. Student lounge KI-ZU-NA is another space for students to create bounds of friendship beyond borders, promoting cultural exchange through monthly events in which students can participate.

KI-ZU-NA URL:  https://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/en/education-campus/facilities/student-lounge-kizuna

Q2It is my first time to live in Kyoto, and I am not familiar with the area. Can I get any help from the university to become accustomed to the life there?
A2 We have a tutoring system for the international students. After the admission, you will have support from a tutor (generally a master's course student from Graduate School of Engineering). You will be able to obtain advice on your daily life to help you get along on campus as well as in the city of Kyoto.

Life in Kyoto

Q1How much do I need for living expenses in Japan?
A1 Although the cost of living varies depending on housing expenditure and food budget, average living expenses for international students in Japan area are 89,000 Japanese Yen per month (excluding academic fees) according to Students Guide to Japan by JASSO.

Q2What should I do if I get sick, should I obtain health insurance?
A2-1 List of emergency hospitals with foreign language speaking staff, and medical handbook are available on the website provided by the Kyoto City International Foundation (URL: www.kcif.or.jp/en/).A2-2 Foreign residents who intend to stay in Japan for one year or more must enroll in the National Health Insurance. When the subscriber presents their National Health Insurance Card at the reception in a hospital for a treatment, the insured need to pay only 30% of medical costs under its coverage. (refer to Handbook for International Students)

Q3How can I get to school from the dormitory?
A3 There are public transportation services to all of our 3 campuses.

Q4Do I need a car to commute to the university?
A4 Kyoto city is well served by public transportation (trains, buses); students usually do not need to purchase a car to get around.