Home / Campus Life / Life in Kyoto / Work Permit

Work Permit in Japan

In order to work part-time in Japan, international students must first get a permit from the immigration bureau. You are able to start your part-time job after you get the permit.


  1. All “College Students” who are permitted to work will be able to engage in work activities for up to and not exceeding 28 hours per week. (During university holidays, you may work for up to and not exceeding 8 hours per day.)
  2. If you are on a leave of absence from the university, you are not allowed to have a part-time job.

 3. A permit is not necessary for teaching assistant (TA) or research assistant (RA) which supports education and research activities in Kyoto University.